Delaire Graff Estate wishes winemaker, Morné Vrey, viticulturist, Kallie Fernhout, and the Delaire Graff wine team a resounding congratulations on their success in the 2019 Tim Atkin South African Report. Delaire Graff Estate retains its First Growth status for the sixth year.
The Tim Atkin Report is the result of a two-month study and tasting of over 2,200 South African wines to compile a comprehensive classification of South African wine producers. Drawing on the classic Bordeaux First Growth classification, the South Africa Report ranks South Africa’s top 250 wine producers in a similar fashion.
One of only nine vineyards to receive First Growth status six or more times, Delaire Graff Estate has, since its inception in 2008, made its mark as one of the most highly awarded estates in the country. Of the twelve Delaire Graff wines tasted for the Report, all have received 91 points and above.
Adding onto its success from previous years, the Laurence Graff Reserve 2015 received an astounding 97 points ranking it as the top Cabernet Sauvignon in South Africa, while the soon to be released Delaire Graff The Banghoek 2016, a Cabernet Franc based blend, received an impressive 95 points in its maiden vintage placing fifth in the Bordeaux Blend category. Be it Cabernet Sauvignon or Cabernet Franc, Delaire Graff is proud to be regarded as the premium producer of the region’s most noble variety.
To be released on 1 December 2019, The Banghoek is the finest celebration of the Estate’s majestic surrounds. Atkin says of the new addition to the Delaire Graff portfolio,
‘Made in small quantities of only 2,720 bottles, this cuvée is a very successful attempt to “celebrate Cabernet Franc”, according to Morné Vrey. With support from 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot and Malbec, it’s floral, leafy and refined with chiselled minerality, scented oak and no sign of the heat of the 2016 vintage.’
The Laurence Graff Reserve 2015 and The Banghoek 2016 are available from the Delaire Graff Wine Lounge.
SUMMARY OF ACHIEVEMENTS:
FIRST GROWTH STATUS
WINES OF THE YEAR (RED):
2016 Delaire Graff The Banghoek, 95 points
2015 Delaire Graff Laurence Graff Reserve, 97 points
FULL LIST OF POINTS:
- Delaire Graff Banghoek Chardonnay Reserve 2018, 93 points
- Delaire Graff Banghoek Merlot Reserve 2017, 92 points
- Delaire Graff Botmaskop 2017, 94 points
- Delaire Graff Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve 2017, 94 points
- Delaire Graff Cape Vintage 2017, 94 points
- Delaire Graff Chenin Blanc Reserve 2018, 92 points
- Delaire Graff Coastal Cuvée Sauvignon Blanc 2018, 92 points
- Delaire Graff Laurence Graff Reserve 2015, 97 points
- Delaire Graff Reserve White 2017, 94 points
- Delaire Graff Sauvignon Blanc 2019, 91 points
- Delaire Graff Terraced Block Reserve Chardonnay 2018, 94 points
- Delaire Graff The Banghoek Blend 2016, 95 points